Friday, January 13, 2006

Sometimes I Just Can't Help It

The other day my favorite blogger over at Hickopolis.com wrote about an article in a Seattle paper bemoaning the ignorance of store clerks and young celebrities who think Chicken of the Sea might just be chicken. Can chickens swim?

I wanted to chastise the writer for feeilng so superior in her intelligence and sophistication but I had an experience this morning that changed my point of view.

Some are born to smuggness, some achieve smugness and some have smugness thrust upon the. (Excuse Mr. Bard)Today smugness was thrust upon me. I tried to duck but it landed squarely and I wasn't quick enough or nice enough to cast it off right away.

As I was sitting at my computer desk in my bookstore, something moved behind me. It wasn't tall enough to be an adult. I looked around a just caught a glimpse of a white tail as it left my shop and went into the hall. I coulnd't resist. I really love dogs and I was pretty sure I had just missed a visit from one whom I hadn't formally met. I walked out the door and went into the visitor's center next door and sure enough,the dog and two men were talking to my neighbor.

The dog came right over to me and his owner said he was a "Dalpit." Then he explained that the dog was half pit bull and half dalmation. I was wondering who in his right mind would breed the reputidly meanest dog with the most energetic dog. A mean dog with tremendous energy and stuborness. Whoa!

To be fair, the dog was friendly and wasn't tearing anyting up. I was ready to go back to work when the owner told me proudly the dog is four years old.

"Born on Elvis'birthday." It was obviously a proud moment for him.

I said he must have just had a birthday.

"No, August 27. Elvis' birthday."

I said I thought Elvis was born in January wondering to myself how I know that Elvis was born in January. Yup, I thought, he's a Capricorn just like my hubby.

"August 27, Born on the King's birthday."

They turned to leave and I said good-bye to the cute pooch.

A google search confirmed January 8 as The King's birthday and now I'm feeing smug. I wonder if some dememted dog breeder (Dalpit?) just told the man who may or may not have been wearing a t-shirt with a replica of a black velvet Elvis portrait on the front that said dog, maybe a Pitmation, was born on Elvis' birthday.

I hope he doesn't know how to use Google. I hope he continues to enjoy his Elvis birthday sharing pooch for a long time.

No comments: