Thursday, January 12, 2006

Just One More Round of "Let the Sunshine In"

I need more light, less rain, more company, less wind. We have freinds and relatives who leave thier homes for the winter. They just pack up and leave for warmer weather and blue skies. I'm starting to realize why. How many days of rain and gray skies and wind can a person take without buying a therapy light or moving into a tanning bed?

I've been reading the dialy journal entries of Lewis and Clark's men during the winter spent at Fort Clatsop on the northern Oregon coast. I don't claim to be as hungry or wet or cold or homesick as they were but I'm beginning to see why they didn't rave about the vast beauty and irrisistable quality of life here. I think their word was "uninhabitable."

I guess we were spoiled last year. January and February were amazingly sunny and pleasant. The rain finally came in the spring but by then our attitudes were way up there so we didn't complain much. We're close to breaking a record thirty-three consecutive days of rain. Is this day twenty-five or six? I don't know. My brain doesn't work without a little light.

In order to get out of this dark funk, I'm going to list a few things for which I'm grateful. Lets, see.......my dog Oliver, my kids and grandkids, my lovely husband, my home on a hill way above the flood plain, my nieghbors at work who are such nice people, my big warm bed, my good friend, my son's uneventful tour of duty in Iraq, my little town and my ability to express myself.

I wish I could be grateful for a little sunshine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, mom. I was feeling the exact same way this morning, and even though I wake up every morning and go through my list of things I'm grateful for, the past fews days I've been doing it as I'm literally dragging myself out of bed, exhausted at the thought of another rainy day. Here's to occasional sunbreaks and partly cloudy days!