Friday, January 06, 2006

A Good Read

The last week has been really slow at my bookstore so I've had a little time to read and write. I had to pick a book to feature in an advertisement in a regional monthly newspaper. I picked Jim Lynch's "The HIghest Tide," without reading it. I noticed that several northwest booksellers recommended the book so I felt safe in the choice.

Now that I've read the book I can tell you it's a gread read; a coming of age story about a fourteen year old boy who's knowledge of the bay near his Olympia area home is extensive. His voice is young, and fresh and cynical at once. His descriptions of the tide pools and the life within are rich and enticing.

I live near the most amazing river in the west. The Columbia's history is as rich as the life within it. A life I'm almost totally ignorant of . Sure I notice the river. It changes color hourly and I'm in awe of its massive twice daily tidal comings and goings. I notice when sea lions and seals poke thier heads out of the water and I'm frightened when the river runs high and is full of debris from tributary flooding. The drive between Cathlamet and Longview includes long stretches of highway right along the river. But I can't say that I know the river well.

Lynch's book has brought me up short. He's made me aware of my own ignorance and my unconscous willingness to take my surroundings for granted. It that's what he intended he is successful. If not, his book is worth reading anyway. His characters are familiar enough to be my neighbors and endearing enough to make me care about them.

I've never been a fourteen year old boy but I can identify with Miles O'Malley. If you haven't read The Highest Tide I recommend you pick up a copy, read it and loan it to your favorite reading friends. It's worthwhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Old man river, he just keeps rolling. Is that how that goes?