Thursday, October 13, 2005

Books, by the Box

Today while cleaning and pricing used books for my new bookstore I got a visit from Bob the UPS man. It may have been a little difficult for him to negotiate the box he was carrying into the room because there are books stacked everywhere. My bookshelves are being brought to life by an excellent craftsman as I write.

This is the day I feel like a bookseller. Not just someone who uses Ronson lighter fuel (Thanks Rick and Joe) to clean the old gummy stickers off old books, not just someone who's been guessing at the right prices to charge for the used books and writing them oh so faintly with pencil on the first light colored page and cleaning them with diluted orange scented Fantastic.

You see, today I got my first box of new books from my supplier. It was a small box but I kept glancing at it all day thinking that I'm not just playing anymore. I have new books to sell. Maybe some of them will become Christmas presents or some kind of surprise for a friend. Oh, the possibilities!

My store already has that booky smell. You know, ink and paper and dust; the smell I have driven miles to experience myself.

Book people! Are you out there? I'm almost ready for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I'm so excited for you! This is going to be so cool!