Monday, December 12, 2005

The Pope Speaks on Chirstmas

Yesterday while I was playing my new favorite game on the computer I listeded half heartedly to the evening news. Iwas relaxing after celebrating Christmas with my husband's family over the weekend. We have a couple of doctors in our family who will be on call during Chirstmas weekend so we celebrated a little early with them.

The weekend was otherwise eventful. My new store opened on Friday and my daughter brought her boyfriend to meet us for the first time. It was a great weekend for all the right reasons. Daughter and boyfriend were fun. He's just as great as she said. The grandkids laughed and played and the grown kids enjoyed being together.

The good company, the laughter and stories and good food happened in spite of my not so clean house and my undecorated Christmas tree and general unready state. And that brings me back to the evening news. The pope deliverd a Chirstmas message over the weekend. Chirstmas is just too commercial. The spirit is lost in the rush to buy presents and make cookies. We are compelled to redecorate our houses.

Women make Christmas. We cook and shop and put up the tree and plan for the perfect gifts. We have an image in our heads and hearts that is difficult to produce in real life. But we continue to try. It's the time of year when we try to match our frazzled lives with every unrealistic expectation imaginable.

Il Papa is right. We should be more mindful of the real reason for the holiday. Now I feel even more stressed trying to figure out how to accomplish that.

Our weekend was Christmas light. The Pizza was great. So was the company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words. I had an excellent time this past weekend and really enjoyed spending time with you and the family.

Anonymous said...

Here's how cool you are, mom: I'm pretty sure GTB liked me MORE after he met you. How often can a girl say that?!