Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Do You Really Need That Rocky Mountain Goat Head?

Last night my daughter and I attended our first auction in Portland. We arrived early so we could peruse the items up for bid. There were two cars, including a pea green Jaguar parked on the curb outside, furs, jewelry, lots of furniture, several mounted hunting trophies, art glass, paintings, and more.

The hottest items of the night were Japanese Samauri swords and knives and Native American art. Oriental carpets were also poplular. Most of the itmes in the auction were the property of a wealthy Portland couple and I was more fascinated with the story the collection told than by the items themselves. What can one assume about people who own five writing desks, Steuben glass and Tiffany Lamps as well as original watercolors and several fur coats?

They were obviously wealthy and had good taste and they must have owned a large home with a double garage. It made me wonder how I would feel if all of those beautiful things belonged to my grandparents. Bits and pieces collected over the years parted out and sent home with stranges.

I was there to look for a couple of tables for my bookstore and I know there were antiques dealers and collectors there who were after a little art glass or an unusual lamp table. But why would anyone want an old bear head or a muscrat wall hanging or the most ornate guilded fruit bowl I've ever beheld?

The most enthusiastic bidder of the evening paid four hundred dollars for a Rocky Mountain Goat Head. Are goats predicted to become the next decorating rage? Will we all need one for the foyer?

Acutally I don't have a foyer. Everyone comes into my house through the garage and I have no collectables other than books. In spite of the fact that we all have too much stuff, and maybe some of us have too much money to throw away, I really enjoyed myself last night. Watching people bid on itmes I would hide in the attic made me realize how much I appreciate eccentricity, though I don't practice it much.

I came home with a wonderful oak library table. It was the only item I wanted in the entire collection and I paid too much for it. It's lovley and sturdy and perfect for my store. It makes me happy just to look at it standing in my garage.

I only hope the goat head lady is as happy with her purchase.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny that you posted this, because BFE's parents are having a garage sale and she said the whole thing makes her think of this quote:

"I think about those objects that turn up in
storerooms, kitchens, or hidden spots, and whose use
no one can explain any more. The vanity of believing that we understand the works of time: it buries the
dead and keeps the keys. Only in dreams, in poetry, in play - lighting a candle, walking along the corridor - do we sometimes arrive at what we were before we were this thing that, who knows, we are."

Anonymous said...

I love that someone in the world has the nickname "the goat head lady".