Monday, July 11, 2005

Thank You, Bangor Maine

Last week in our local paper a woman's letter to the editor seemed as if it was written just to illicit a reaction. In the letter she described those little magnetic yellow ribbons expressing support for our troops as useless. She suggested their only purpose was to decorate carwash floors. I agree most carwashes could use a little decorating help but I disagree about the value of those little patriotic ribbons.

My son is a Marine Corps officer. He returned from a sixth month deployment in Iraq just yesterday. Those tacky little magnets meant a lot to me when he was there. It meant that someone else was holding our troops in thier heart if only for the moment it took to place the ribbon on the car. I think people want to do something, anything to support the folks who chose to serve. A bigger, bolder gesture may be appropriate for some people, but those small acts of respect and gratitude make a difference.

I think people do what they can to show support and according to my son, the folks in Bangor Maine did thier part last night to welcome fifty marines back onto American soil. Even the late night hour didn't discouragae the thirty or so people who showed up to thank the marines. They offered hospitality and free cell phones to call home. I know one marine who was really touched by the welcome and I thank you, Bangor.

No comments: